A handful of premium locally-produced extra virgin olive oils have been selected as finalists for the 2014 Absa Top 5.
The 10 contenders in alphabetical order are:
- Eden Olives Muiskraal Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Delicate)
- Gabriëlskloof Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Medium)
- Groote Vallei Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Medium)
- Marbrin Olive Growers Intense Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Intense);
- Morgenster Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Intense)
- Mulderbosch Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Intense)
- Rio Largo Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Medium)
- Rio Largo Premium Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Intense)
- Willow Creek Estate Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Medium)
- Willow Creek Food Lovers Signature Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Medium)
Absa and SA Olive instituted the Top 5 in 2013 as an extension to the annual SA Olive Awards. The finalists for the Absa Top 5 are selected from the ranks of the SA Olive top achievers by an esteemed panel of olive oil experts. The tasting panel comprised Mauro Amelio, an accredited panel leader and international olive oil expert from the National Association for Olive Oil Tasters (ONAOO) in Italy plus South African industry stalwarts Gerrie Duvenage, Reni Hildenbrand, Louise Rabie, Robert Claasens, Leonard Arangies and Benedetta Lami.
The Absa Top 5 olive oils will be revealed on 14 October. Following the announcement, Absa will be inviting top clients to taste the Top 5 olive oils as well as this year’s Top 10 Pinotage wines in Gauteng and KwaZulu Natal during October