As most of you know by now, good quality olive oil is a pretty amazing staple that everyone should have in their pantry. Not only is it one of nature’s best antioxidants, it also has the ability to transform or enhance almost every type of dish and desert into a taste sensation.
We’ve put together a list of our top 10 Taste Tips that will give you the upper hand in the kitchen.
- An intense or medium olive oil is great for adding flavour to veggies but did you know that cooking or drizzling carrots with olive oil will help to absorb more of the healthy nutrients such as beta-carotene.
- Contrary to the popular myth, you can fry foods in olive oil, just make sure it’s a good quality extra virgin olive oil. Some studies have even proven that olive oil is healthier to fry with than other vegetable oils.
- Adding olive oil to chocolate desserts will intensify the richness of the chocolate flavour.
- For a healthy and tasty steak marinade, ditch the store brought BBQ sauce. A drizzle of good quality olive oil will bring out the natural flavours best.
- Before refrigerating homemade pesto, add a thin layer of olive oil on top of the sauce after putting it in a jar so the pesto will keep its green color and stay fresher for longer.
- Using olive oil to make your own mayo or aioli will add good flavour while giving you all the great health benefits of olive oil.
- The vitamin E in olive oil helps to keep baked goods moist and fresh longer than butter and other oils.
- For moist falvourful burgers, try adding a glug of intense olive oil to the patty mix before molding and frying. Many of the best chefs swear by this trick for creating their world famous burgers.
- It might surprise you that ice cream and olive oil pair well together. Drizzling creamy ice cream with olive oil, or adding it into your ice cream recipe, makes for a doubly-rich dessert.
- Foods such as fish and chicken, poached in olive oil have amazing texture and flavour. The key with poaching is lots of oil and very low temperatures.
If you enjoyed these taste tips, make sure to follow #TasteTips on our Facebook page for more of these cooking recommendations. For olive oil inspired recipes click here.
Latest posts by Olive Central (see all)
- Japan To Host 4th Sol D’Oro Southern Hemisphere Competition - July 21, 2017
- Study Shows Olive Oil May Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease - July 4, 2017
- South Africa Makes Its Mark AtVINITALY And Sol&Agrifood - June 20, 2017