At the world’s most prestigious olive oil competition, Sol D’Oro, held for the first time from 29 September to 3 October in the Southern Hemisphere at Santiago in Chile, South African olive oil producers excelled. Competing against producers from Australia, Chile, Peru, Argentina and Uruguay, South African producers walked away with the gold medal for medium fruit olive oil and three highly recommended diplomas for the same category:
Gold Medal “Medium Fruit”
– 1st: Willow Creek, Nuy Valley near Worcester, Western Cape (Mr Andries Rabie Tel: 023 342 5793)
Highly recommended “Medium Fruit”:
– Morgenster, Vergelegen Avenue, Somerset West (Dr Giulio Bertrand Tel: 021 852 1738)
– Prince Albert Olives, Hope Street, Prince Albert Western Cape (Messrs Fred and Hein Badenhorst Tel: 023 541 1687)
– Tokara, Helshoogte Rd, Stellenbosch, Western Cape (Mr Robert Claasens Tel: 021 808 5900)
The competition is annually held at the Fair of Verona, Italy, to coincide with the world’s biggest olive oil show SOL. Because of the advantage northern hemisphere olive producers have owing to the closeness of the harvesting, picking and pressing at the time of year when the show is held, it was decided that the competition, with identical rules for entry, be more fairly timed to accommodate the harvesting pattern of the Southern Hemisphere by holding the competition nearer to Southern Hemisphere picking cycles.
The Fair of Verona has thus again shown its commitment to agro-industry by sponsoring this event along with Panel Cata Chile.
The South African producers came away with flying colours and are to be congratulated for excelling at this top level. Their olive oil will now be displayed, tasted and highlighted at the SOL show 22-25 March 2015 in Verona, Italy – an undertaking the Fair of Verona made on launching the Southern Hemisphere leg. They are also due to be included in the “Sol d’Oro Stars” revue to be circulated amongst the producers over the whole world.
Enquiries and further information can be obtained from the Fair of Verona’s representatives for Southern Africa: Adv Glenn Babb, Babrius PO Box 315, Muizenberg 7945 Tel: 021 788 7069 Fax: 021 788 5616 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by Olive Central (see all)
- South African Olive Oils Shine At The 4th Sol d’Oro - November 14, 2017
- The 2017 Marco Zichella Awards - November 9, 2017
- How To Throw An Olive Oil Tasting Party - October 11, 2017